Saturday, October 11, 2008

rowdy fans?

I work at the Mercyhurst ice center and there was a youth tournament there all weekend. There were not very many fans there at all. The only people that sat in the stands were the parents or relatives. I worked friday night the start of the tournament and parents were going nuts. I understand kind of were they are coming from, I mean I was a child once playing sports and had my parents supporting me but not to the extent that these few parents were. These parents were so into the game that at every play they were yelling at some child. They knew every child by their names and any time they did something wrong, the parents were there yelling at them. Isnt that what a coach is for, not parents? These few parents, you would have thought this was a matter of life and death winning this game. I think parents like these take the fun out of the game when they are constantly analyzing every childs play and yelling at them to "go forward" or "hit someone." Instead i believe that parents should be yelling supportive and encouraging comments to every child at that age to get better. The children dont know everything thats why they are playing to learn and get better in the first place. Calm down

No comments: