Friday, November 7, 2008

another defensive let down

I wrote in a previous blog that if the Cleveland Browns were under .500 that Anderson should not get the start, and they have their future in Quinn and he should start. The Browns after 8 games were 3-5 and it was time to give Quinn a try. After watching the Broncos vs. the Browns last night I can see why Quinn is the future. Quinn made smart decisions and did not throw a single interception. Granted he did not throw any deep balls, all of his balls were short passes they were pretty accurate and the receiver's didn't have to many drops last night. He went 23 for 35 with a total of 239 yards. He had a 65% completion rate which crushes Anderson's 50% completion percentage , according to espn.com. I am excited to see how he does in the weeks to come, but with there being no quarterback controversy anymore the important question that needs to be addressed is the Browns need to find a defense. They let a 10 point lead in the fourth slip away. In the fourth Jay Cutler, the Broncos QB, was able to pass on the Browns defense at will. The Browns knew that the broncos needed to pass and Cutler threw it anywhere he wanted. Cutler ended up with 447 passing yards. That is not acceptable and it eneded up costing the Browns the game. The offense is finally figured out, but now its time too look at the defense and fix it, because with no defense the Browns wont win any more games this season.

3 comments:

Stollbillie said...

Growing up in the Cleveland area and being a Browns fan my entire life has made this season very depressing. I wanted to back Anderson after the season he had last year, but you're right the offense looks much better with Quinn and he is the future. As for the defense, they are pathetic I actually attended the Ravens game two weeks ago and they are awful. And as we all know the Browns fans definitely let them hear it. As much as I liked Anderston last year and wanted him to continue this season I think we have to get rid of him. If we let go of Anderson somehow we can use the ridiculous amount of money we gave him to build a better defense. I hate to think that the season is over, but if it is this draft is going to have to be a defensive one so the team can keep a lead their loaded offense gets them.

Mike said...

If you would have told me that Quinn would lead the team to 30 offensive points without throwing a pick 6 which Anderson seemed to do all the time, I would have thought for sure it would be a win. However, the defense is awful and the two biggest "playmakers" have ego problems. Braylon Edwards loved Anderson because he threw him the ball more. Kellen Winslow is going to love Quinn because he threw him the ball more. Before, I thought Winslow would leave in free agency. Now, I think Edwards may leave because he may not get the ball as much. However, it was only one game and there is plenty of time to see what happens before their contracts our up. However, both Edwards and Winslow want to be football legends. They both make amazing catches that most receivers can't do. However, they both drop some of the easiest passes and make stupid penalties. I would be in favor of benching Edwards except there is no one behind him. I have no been a fan of Romeo and I don't think this organization will go anywhere with him as head coach. Besides, Quinn's play, there was one more positive thing about the game. Anderson's trade value has just gone up again. Teams will see it was not entirely his fault and may offer more to get him now.

Christopher Cummings said...

Quinn actually surprised me in the game. He looked pretty good against a decent Broncos team. I think that the Browns needed a change and I think Quinn provides a spark. it will be an interesting game next Monday night against my slumping Bills team. I am a little nervous but we shall see what happens.